Alaine's 19th Birthday

Saturday, September 03, 2016

"Life should not only be lived, it should be celebrated."

Being with these gals for almost my entire college life,  surprising whoever the birthday celebrant had become a “tradition” of ours. There’s just something fulfilling seeing your friend feel special on her special day; and knowing that you’re one of the reason behind it, aaahhh…it’s priceless! Also, it feels great being surprised by your friends. I mean who doesn’t like birthday surprises, right? I suppose you totally understand how good these feels are.

So it was August 29th when our dear friend, Alaine, turned 19. As I’ve mentioned in my latest life lately post, August was such a demanding month. Everyone was busy and quite honestly, we really didn’t have any decent planned surprise for Alaine’s birthday until the day before it. I’m just so grateful for all those birthday surprise ideas I’ve seen around the internet. Internet is really such a ~life saver~ (only if we know how to use it correctly).

I’ve prepared banners with letters that formed “Happy Birthday, Leng.” Then Lyka and April bought balloons to spice up the surprise and I suggested to put letters inside the balloons then let Alaine pop them up to read those. We also prepared a jar of hugots and named it “Bunot Your Hugot” because those were her own hugots in between our conversations through SMS, Twitter DM, and Messenger (yes, I’ve kept them haha). I took a screenshot of those and printed them, then we pasted it on colored papers, rolled them and put them in a small transparent jar.

Good thing, it was a long weekend and Alaine went home. So we were able to prepare the surprise on their boarding house. The preparation wasn’t smooth and easy because we were in a great cram at that time. We were worried that Alaine might arrive earlier, but good thing she didn’t. Yet still, we weren’t able to finish everything before she arrived. Fortunately, there was a vacant room in their boarding house where we hid and prepared everything. Everything should have been ready before she arrived, well… that was the original plan, but obviously, it failed so we decided to surprise her right after our planned lunch out and whatever plans Alaine had in mind.

Yes, Alaine volunteered herself to treat us for lunch and our supposed-to-be meeting place was in their boarding house. Even though we’re already there before she arrived, we have to pretend that we weren’t yet, and of course, with the changed plan, we have to get everything done before we leave their boarding house still keeping it a secret from her, so we planned that April and I will pretend as if we’ll arrive late and let Lyka and Alaine go to wherever Alaine planned to treat us. But we were afraid that Alaine might sense something if we were both late. So the final plan was, April will go with them, and I’ll set everything up when they leave.

So okay, I did my thing as planned. One thing I’ve learned: it’s pretty difficult to do such thing alone but anyways, I didn’t mind that as long as it’s for the person who’s dear to me (naks!).

After everything was set up, I went after them at Cafe 1927 where we had our lunch.
It was almost noon when I arrived and they were already waiting for the ordered foods. 
When the order arrived, we were shocked of the three platters of rice. Lol. It was kinda too much for us. 
The foods were good, especially the lechon kawali, but the sisig tasted different from what I expected. 
Anyway, we were having fun while eating, because the moment was of  course spiced up with stories and laughter. 
We stayed quite long in the cafe since we had quite a hard time eating everything up, but we successfully did. 

I was too full thereafter that I can hardly move. Lol. Can we now be tagged on those “Tag mo yung kaibigan mong mahinhin pero matakaw?” memes on Facebook? Lol. Just kiddin’.
After our almost two-hour lunch, we walked along the plaza while deciding where to go next. 
We settled to have a karaoke sesh at the World of Fun, so we went to Robinsons. Unfortunately, the KTV box had been occupied since we arrived. We waited for like an hour, I guess, but still, the peeps inside them were still enjoying. We played one round of basketball while waiting. Then, Alaine suggested that we’ll go to Gaisano Grand (there’s WOF there, too), and we agreed.
Upon arriving, we again waited for a few minutes before we were finally able to occupy a box. We requested ten songs, then found ourselved enjoying so we added another set of ten. 
It was all Alaine’s treat. It was our first time to do such fun thing and also my first time to hear them sing in a microphone! Haha. A thing crossed off my bucket list that day: videoke with these girls. And… I scored 100! Hahaha. Yaaay! 

After we got enough, we decided to go to Alaine and Lyka’s boarding house, and April and I managed to make excuses to Alaine why we’re going with them instead of going home straight ahead (we haven’t surprised her yet, remember?).

When we were already there, we allowed Alaine to go first so she would be the one to open the door and successfully, she was surprised by what she saw. She was smiling the whole time, she was happy. 

It was such very fulfilling seeing her that happy. She thought we didn’t prepare anything for her. YES!! Mission accomplished!
Such a fun and memorable day and that was definitely one for the books!

Post a Comment