it's christmas once again

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

 


i remember as a child, i would always wait for this time of the year to come. way back, it actually feels like waiting for one year round, but these days, it seems that christmas just comes in just a blink each time. idk if it's the world or just us growing up, but time flies very swiftly.


...and just like that, it's christmas once again.




this Christmas was just like any prior Christmas that was celebrated with the whole family. we attended the Christmas Eve mass on Christmas Eve (of course), then we stayed up so late until 3am just chitchatting about the most random things, then woke up late the next day (as expected).


the rest of the morning was spent preparing food for the whole family. we don't usually have our noche buena and our Christmas menus are usually prepared right on Christmas day because that's when everyone in the family would usually come over. i have always spent my Christmas with the family my whole life so far. it's a family tradition that has existed ever since i can remember. i don't know how it started, but as per my mama, it's something my grandparents have built for the family. i don't think they grew up with this family tradition, but they tried their best to make Christmas a special occasion for all of us and it is something that each one looks forward to every time. i'm so thankful for them, as well as my parents, because they have always made Christmas my favorite season ever since.


the afternoon was spent singing on the karaoke, and eating, and singing, and eating once again. christmas will never be complete without a karaoke session with the family.






on the evening, we had our exchanged gifts. there were separate gifts intended for our manito or  monita, then everyone was free to put their gifts to anyone or everyone under the Christmas tree, then my eldest tita would distribute them to whoever. basically, we get the chance to share our blessings with everyone. anyone who has the means to give can give gifts to whoever or to everyone. nobody is obliged, but it has been a tradition that we've grown up to. when i was younger, my grandparents, my parents, aunts, and uncles would give gifts to all of us kids. they still do up to this day. and now that we're grown-ups already, we also got used to preparing gifts for everyone. that's why a Christmas sinking fund is very important. i didn't have one this year, and danggg, it was pretty challenging. i promise to make it a priority in 2024 going forward.





to wrap it up, this year's Christmas was simple yet wonderful. i didn't have much expectations on it. being reunited with the whole family on Christmas day was more than enough to be thankful already. i'm so thankful for the bond that has been built among us. Christmas always reminds me of how blessed i am with my family. i didn't get to choose it, but God gave me the best. i'm grateful for the Christmas tradition that my grandparents have started—to gather everyone during Christmas and to share each one's blessings. it is something that i hope i can continue with my future offspring and even make it better.


how did you spend your christmas day? what are you most thankful for this christmas? i would love to know your story! <3


p.s. i am in the process of putting together a video blog of my christmas day. will upload it here once that is done. trying to get back into this hobby once again. :)



---
twitter ✧ instagram ✧ youtube ✧ tiktok

1 comment

  1. Wishing you and your family happy holidays! I also grew up with this tradition, and now that I am away from home, I miss it. It is indeed a blessing to have our families around us during the festive season. I realized that as I've gotten older, I tend to give gift cards or vouchers as presents instead of actual material stuff; it saves me time and avoids any frustration in case the receiver doesn't like it lol!


    Anyway hope to see more posts in your blog in 2024! I love reading personal/lifestyle bloggers especially from the Philippines. Makes me feel closer to home :) 🫶

    ReplyDelete